ALL OF US!

ALL OF US!
Everything Daddy did was for us! For Mommy, his beautiful, Emma his baby girl, Katie the giggler, Ben the adventurous one, Molly his big girl, Hannah his brutus, Jack the little guy just like him, and Grace, daddy's little girl

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Doctor Who


I, Rebecca, do swear that my children, Molly, Benjamin, Kaitlyn, Jackson, Grace, Hannah, and Emma are all British Sci-Fi junkies, namely Doctor Who. Ok, ok, I did leave out one crucial person, I too am hooked! So where did this love of quirky tv shows come from? Daddy of course! He loved to watch Doctor Who as a kid, and it wasn't until this last year that he rediscovered and passed down to the children the joy of watching the Time Lord and his Tardis.


In the beginning of chemo treatments 3 days would be devoted to misery. The nausea, fatigue and discomfort was great, so the majority of those days were spent either in bed or on the sofa. The television became his friend, movies he loved to watch, shows he now had time to watch, all things to help him escape from the present misery he felt.
Duane rediscovered Doctor Who one night and I swear he was a kid in a candy store, just giddy! The first episode he showed everyone was Tooth and Claw, about an alien(of course) werewolf race wanting to take over the British monarchy, Queen Victoria to be exact. Duane warned us it might be a little scary, little? Jack was terrified! Strangely, one by one all the monkeys and I became avid Who watchers with Daddy. Hannah would sit on Duane's lap, watch a little "Gocker Who" and talk none stop about Rose, the tardis and the Gocker. Those are precious memories I have, watching the two of them, Daddy and his 3 year old.
Last night I became keenly aware of the impact this one love of Duane's has had on his family, a lasting ritual. Saturday nights, after the recent episode had recorded on the DVR, all Duane's children, his wife and his dog gather in the living room, giddy, once like there Dad was, and we watch Doctor Who. It feels good, it feels just like he was sitting there with us, just like I could glance over, see Duane sitting in "his spot" eating a pickle, smiling and watching British Sci-Fi with his family. Yea, it feels good. Thank you Duane for loving Doctor Who.

1 comment:

  1. When your mom's cell phone ring tone is the Dr Who theme song, I'd say you are all hooked! I think that is a sweet memory and I'm glad it is still a fun time for all of you.

    ReplyDelete